Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sukiyaki Sonata; Master Chef Mama; The Down Home Post




This week, I went down south to the land they call LA to celebrate the birthday of one of my best friends, Marika. Like most people, I looked forward to also eating some of my mother's home cooking, mmm mmm mmm...

Now, my mom is one of the best cooks I know, having started at the ripe young age of six. Unfortunately, even though I begged and begged, she never really got the chance to teach me how to cook when I was younger. During this visit though, she was able to give me a quick lesson in how to make Sukiyaki… her way.



She started by sautéing sliced white onions in some vegetable oil. Once they softened a bit, she added pork cut specifically for Sukiyaki (thinly sliced) so that it curled up. Once the pork was cooked enough, she added medium-firm tofu and a soy-white pepper mixture and let that cook through. Then she mixed in some white enoki mushrooms and a little bit of “stinky tofu” (fermented bean curd) for texture and flavor. Finally, she sprinkled sliced green onions on top and served the Sukiyaki on white rice with Korean seaweed on the side. I only had a taste since I had to go to Marika’s birthday dinner, but my mom and dad took their hot, steaming bowls in front of the computer to watch their latest Korean soap opera obsession. I used to be totally uninterested, almost repulsed by those Korean soaps like "Winter Sonata," but (honestly) after dating a half Korean-half Japanese guy, I feel like I can tolerate them a little more. My interest in this guy also rekindled an interest in Asian culture and cuisine.









For some odd reason, I find cooking Chinese, Japanese, or Korean food intimidating and foreign. Perhaps this is because I’ve been a Europhile for a while and have focused mostly on European cuisines, e.g. French and Italian. Working at a tea court and being courted by an Asian male has brought me closer to my roots. I’m becoming more familiar with the wok and steamer and I am growing more and more interested in exploring Asian flavors in cooking, like sesame oil and rice vinegar.

European cuisine still holds a special place in my stomach’s heart, but right now I think it’s time to go home.

All photos taken with iPhone 5 because camera wasn't present.

1 comment:

  1. Well . . . what was cookin'? Hope there's more to come. Soon. :)

    ReplyDelete