Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Last Supper; Legend of the $250 Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe; The Apocalyptic Post



This post is proof that I've survived the Mayan apocalypse muahah! Yes, I realize it was a bit silly of me to get anxious about the world ending on 12-21-12, but it got me thinking- what if something major does happen like this: http://www.hulu.com/watch/438003? What would I want to do, who would I want to be with when the world ended or I died? Answer: Eating delicious food with people I love and care about who also care about me.

Well, my parents weren’t coming up until 2 days after the apocalypse, so I contacted my old old friend Elissa- old because we’ve known each other since we were wee ones running around Disneyland while our parents slept on benches. Her father and my mother were college friends and roommates, so our families used to get together whenever possible. Elissa and I also went to the same university, but didn’t really hang out until after we graduated. We both live in San Francisco (10 minutes from each other actually, yay!) and work in Berkeley, so we’ve been able to meet up a lot this year and she’s been kind enough to invite me to her and her friends’ little shindigs every once in a while. She’s a hulaing, hip-hop dancing wonder woman and a generous, caring friend, so I always enjoy spending time with her.

Although she laughed at my apocalypse anxiety, she was quite accommodating and invited me over to make chocolate chip cookies. I had the idea to make bread and drink wine with it like Jesus in the Last Supper, but we realized making bread would take a long time and I don’t really drink wine anyway. So instead, I brought kombucha over and she concocted some delicious limoncello-amaretto drink and her mom fed us a beautiful, hearty meal that consisted of split pea soup with ham hock, focaccia bread from Liguria bakery I believe, some sausage, and salami. As we feasted on this “last supper,” her mom and dad were letting me in on some secret stories about my mom in her youth (drunken revelries, etc heheh) and showed me old pictures when she had long luscious locks and fake eyelashes.


Elissa's momma slicing sausage mmm.

Miss Mixologist at work.

Spinach getting ready for a flood of split pea soup.

The perfect apocalyptic meal.
 Then came the pre-apocalyptic cookie making. Elissa had heard of a recipe from Neiman Marcus that cost $250!! Well, of course we had to try this before the end of the world, so we busted out her kitchen aide and made 2 dozen Neiman Marcus chocolate chip cookies, half with toasted walnuts, half without. I’m not sure if they were worth $250, but they were certainly scrumptious! 




Photo taken by Elissa.

One black and white photo for dramatic effect. Photo taken by Elissa.




I'm so glad she's an architect and has a great eye for good photographic composition. Photo taken by Elissa.



$250 Dollah Babee!

Finally, I was invited to join their family tradition of watching A Sesame Street Christmas by the fireside. Elissa’s dad loves sesame street- he identifies with Ernie and shares somewhat of a resemblance to the rubber duck-loving character. As the day of the “apocalypse” drew to an end, I felt warm and safe and full of love, just like Big Bird on Christmas Day.

Uncle Glenn and his puppet doppelganger.

If the world had actually ended, I think I would’ve been ok with it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment