Sunday, October 14, 2012

Feeding on Fashion; Color Me Calivintage; The Blogspiration Post


"Sammich Cake" from Calivintage.com

Erin from Calivintage.com

 So Friday evening, I headed over to Pretty Penny in Oakland, an adorable vintage store, for the Calivintage pop-up shop event. Created by Erin Perez Hagstrom, Calivintage is a vintage fashion blog that I’ve been following ever since I bought a peter-pan collared mini-dress that a Pretty Penny shop girl informed me was on Erin’s wishlist.

“Do you know Erin, the fashion blogger?”
“Nope.”
“She has a blog called Calivintage and she’s been fighting for that dress in an online war on Etsy. We said the first person to come in could have it.”
“Whoa, I had no idea! I’ll have to look her up.”

That was the beginning of my minor obsession with Calivintage and similar fashion blogs like it. I’ve been buying vintage since middle school, but none of my friends were as interested in shopping for used clothing as I. Now I feel I’ve found a little niche- a group of fellow aficionados of all things vintage. Instead of food fixings, I fed on fashion this week.

At the pop-up shop, I got to meet and briefly talk with Erin. She was so sweet and down-to-earth! It was strange actually meeting her after following her online for some months. It’s almost like meeting a celebrity. Anyhoo, I’m hoping she’ll be able to give me some tips on how to develop my blog and use it perhaps as a steppingstone to a career. I believe she got a job at Modcloth after Calivintage became popular.

Cat sweater Calivintage purchase
Bullocks Los Angeles shirt blouse Calivintage purchase

Though this seems more about fashion and vintage and blogging than cooking and conversations, there is a connection! Apparently, Erin studied at culinary school and is a certified pastry chef. Perusing her blog, I found a post about making a “Sammich Cake” or smörgåstårta with a round loaf of bread, asparagus, cream cheese, cucumber, avocado, and some leafy greens. It looks amazing!! Her food photography skills surely surpass mine. This is definitely on my to cook list. Check out her savory cake here: http://www.calivintage.com/2012/05/sammich-cake.html


I realized that I should start messaging other bloggers with whom I share common interests and whose blogs I admire, because they could become great contacts, perhaps even friends, and I could definitely use some lessons in blogging…some BLOGspiration!

Yay for dandelions! Photo from Calivintage.com

No comments:

Post a Comment