Sunday, September 16, 2012

Lunch in Lake Merritt; Amateur Food Photography; The Patty Pan Post


This is going to be mostly a photographic blog post, which is quite fitting since one of my meal-mates, Sean, is a photographer. Last Sunday, he, my friend Elan, and I made lunch together at Sean’s gorgeous Lake Merritt apartment in Oakland, a place where everything is magically photographable. Sean cooked up some apple-wood smoked bacon, I brought veggies and organic chicken sausage (summer squash again!) to make a frittata, and Elan made some decadent brownies with brown-butter frosting. I tried to capture this all on my Canon G11, but I'm still an amateur compared to all the food photographers out there. Hopefully, practice and learning more Photoshop skills will help. It was a wonderfully relaxing Sunday afternoon, also enjoyed by Sean’s cat, Moses aka Mo aka Mojo (what I like to call him). The other kitty Ellie, preferred to keep to herself under the sink. Once we were all pregnant with bacon, eggs, and patty pan squash (my favorite summer squash- it reminds me of a Peter Pan collar), we took a walk around the bright blue lake that showcased all the panoply of Oakland wildlife including egrets, wild geese, and the more common species, picnickers. It was a Sunday well spent- with good food, good friends, and cats.





Sliced Patty Pan!




Makon Bakon

The bright green fava beans were hand-shucked by Sean himself.
























Doggies and their paddlers




Me and my new cat shorts



6 comments:

  1. That brunch looks goooood and that cat looks like a diva.

    The picture of the various algal slimes of Lake Merritt is surprisingly serene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized you have cats on your pants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cat shorts - chorts, shats, catorts? - require another photoessay with divacat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cahorts! I agree, Moses, the divacat could do with a post all his own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cat and the toy rabbit especially!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cat sweaterz/scarfz/shortz 4 LYFE

    ReplyDelete