Monday, January 14, 2013

Round and White; Breakfast at Terry Chi's; The Bean Bun Post



Boy, it’s hard to get back into the blogging groove after a couple months of not writing. I’ve also become “blogged” down with work and preparations for my upcoming trip to NYC (excuse the bad pun, but I couldn’t help myself). Something, or more like someone, else has also been taking up a lot of my time- I guess I should introduce you to him…

Meet BEAN BUN! That’s only his official name- he also goes by Bunbun, Bungee, Bunnicle, Bunzie, Bunjamin Button, Mr. Bean, Beanie, etc etc etc. The bun puns are endless.


Fate struck one night when a desperate-looking woman walked into the Tea Court and asked my manager if he wanted a bunny. He shook his head and pointed her in my direction, knowing that I had been in want of a cuddly companion for a long time, especially after watching Audrey Hepburn living as a single gal with her unnamed cat in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. It was hard to resist the woman’s pleas to take one of her parents’ baby dwarf bunnies, especially since she was on the verge of tears while explaining that they may be put in a shelter where they’d probably be euthanized. I’m no “Mother Teresa of Animals” like the woman n North Carolina with 300 cats, but I’m easily swayed by sad animal-in-need stories. My compassionate side definitely kicked in. 

So before I knew it, I was driving home with a baby bun in the backseat of my car. As I was driving and consoling this little snowball of fur that everything would be ok, I started to get anxious about having another being’s life in my hands. Previous pets of mine were also taken care of by my parents, so this was the first time I was solely responsible for my own pet. It was frightening! What if I forgot to feed him or neglected him or stepped on him?? I had two big black rabbits when I was 4, but my parents didn’t know how to take care of them properly, so the rabbits ended up turning into lethargic, triple-chinned lumps. I loved them but I don’t think I took good care of them or gave them enough attention. Now that I’ve learned to take care of myself, I also have a better idea of how to take care of someone else, in this case, a round white ball with two blue eyes and two-inch ears. This seems to parallel my theory that one must love oneself fully before being able to love others properly.

Anyhoo, I eventually got over my fear of responsibility, visited a wonderful pet store and rabbit shelter called “RabbitEars,” and got on track with my bunny care knowledge. I loved finally having company, waking up to the sound of grass munching and the sight of one of the cutest creatures I’ve ever laid eyes on. Now every time I eat an apple for breakfast, I cut out a little piece and share it with Bean Bun and for the first time in a long time, I feel, without fear or doubt, that I’m sincerely sharing a piece of my heart.

1 comment: